Sunday, January 25, 2015

Monster High Doll House - Conversion from Barbie House; Part 1

 So, Last week the little one asked if she could have a Monster High dollhouse - but, you see - she already has this GIANT Barbie house in her room.  As her mom, and a pinterest junkie extraordinaire - I was sure I could find a way to convert the dollhouse into something more suitable for her growing collection of dolls. 

With a suitable bribe for me (she had to clean her room extra), a few hours on google images/pinterest and a trip to the craft store - we spent $15 on the supplies for the first few rooms.  We began with the top level - what was the bedroom.  

I bought patterned scrapbook paper for the walls, and felt for the floors.  We did the first area with a pawprint wallpaper, fancy black pattern washi tape for the edges and pink and black zebra carpeting for the vanity area.  It needs a wall still redone in plain black, and the vanity itself needs repainted, but....HUGE DIFFERENCE ALREADY.

The top right got a purple burlap pattern paper and a neat black felt set in the middle, like a rug.  It has music note washi tape holding it down (as well as scotch tape behind the walls). 

After we took this picture we added Monster High stickers to look like posters along the left side of the wall - and the couch, much like the vanity will be getting a coat of paint and some gussying up. There is a small scrap of the pink and black zebra from the other floor that we are planning to turn into a pillow for the couch.

The room I am most pleased with is the middle level right side - what was this...

Got treated with metallic pink alligator print sheets to the wall, and black alligator print to the floor - with music note washi tape through the middle as a decorative accent - and on the wall with the door by the floor and ceiling.  It really makes the entire room stand out incredibly! It is showing the bed right now that will be getting a paint job as well!

 As we were working the invader came and joined us! Followed by both cats playing peek-a-smack through the front door of the house :)

 Little one, her dad and I all probably only put in about thirty minutes of work thus far. I need some more supplies to finish it up - we hope to finish furniture redo's this week and possibly pick up the additional felt and scrapbook paper to redo the bottom floor rooms, possible remake a better kitchen and then we hope her littleness will add to it as she wants to.  We are trying to decide how much to do the outside, but it's possible this will become a stone castle (courtesy of some awesome felt from Michaels).

We do have a few other projects going at the same time, so I have to be careful not to overload our schedules...but I hope to have a more finished picture by February 10th. 


  1. Oh! It is so magical! I used to dream about such a Barbie Doll House when I was a child. Your blog is so lovely! I will share it with my writer from, she will also love it.

    1. Thank you so much! We are getting ready to redo it all again already :)

    2. I think that updates are really important in such case:)